Monday, April 30, 2007

Book Tour - an Interview with Dotti Enderle

I'm kicking off the Bloggy Booky Tour this week in an interview with outstanding, funny, dear, and charming writer, storyteller and performer Dotti Enderle, author of the Fortune Tellers Club books, The Cotton Candy Catastrophe at the Texas State Fair, and Granny Gert and the Bunion Brothers.


Dotti is introducing her latest picture book. In Grandpa For Sale, FlashLight Press, eleven-year-old Lizzie is minding the family antique store while her grandpa naps on a spindly sofa. When Mrs. Larchmont and her poodle, Giselle, enter and begin their buying spree, they refuse to leave without bargaining for the one antique not for sale...Grandpa!


Continue to read more intriguing interviews with Dotti Enderle by visiting Elizabeth Dulemba's blog on Tuesday, Ruth McNally Barshaw's Ellie McDoodle on Wednesday, Kim Norman's blog Stone Stoop on Thursday, Barbara Johansen Newman's Cats and Jammers on Saturday, then stop by Joe Kulka's for a wrap up.


KL- In your newest book Grandpa For Sale, FlashLight Press, you have created believable and sympathetic characters; eleven year old Lizzie, Mrs. Larchmont and her poodle Giselle, and of course Grandpa. How do you observe the world and find the inspiration to create your characters?

DE- Grandpa for Sale was co-authored by Vicki Sansum, so I can't take all the credit for creating the characters. Lizzie is a product of my imagination, but Vicki gave life to Mrs. Larchmont and Giselle. It was truly a collaborative effort. But I do think it's important to keep track of people's ticks and habits for future writing references. When standing in line at the post office, I watch the people on their cell phones, fidgeting, dealing with children. I pass the time by giving each of them their own story as to why they happen to be in the post office...always something dramatic or comical, of course.

KL- Some writers have difficulty finding inspiration, others have trouble facing revisions. Finding time, making deadlines and dealing with rejections can all be hard. What is the most difficult part of the writing and publishing process for you?

DE- Definitely revising. Especially if there are plot holes or a weakness that requires a total rewrite of a scene. I'm one of those pathetic authors who falls in love with my own words, so coming up with substitutes and casting out lovely prose is really tough for me. I try to think of this as a business, and that it's important to do what's best for the book, but it's still my biggest struggle.

KL- Do you find yourself focusing on one project at a time or do you work on many at once?

DE- I'm a very linear thinker, and I just can't work on more than one project at a time. I do have a couple of novels I've abandoned, and hope to finish one day, but I can't hop from one project to another and back. The only time I ever work on two things at once is when I have edits due, but I focus fully on those, then get back to my current WIP. Of course I have written first drafts of picture books while in the middle of a novel, but usually that happens when the story suddenly comes to me, then I grab a legal pad and pen and capture it on paper. It doesn't happen very often though.

KL- You've been extremely prolific and have written a successful middle grade novel series, picture books, and now you are working on a YA novel. Is there a genre you haven't tackled yet that you see yourself gravitating to next?

DE- I'm desperately working on getting a YA published for teens. That's the age group that has eluded me so far. But in all fairness, I only have two completed YAs. And my current work in progress is also YA.

KL- Where do you find inspiration? How do you fill your creative well?

DE- Most times inspiration finds me. And usually at the most inconvenient times, like when I'm in the shower. I'm one of those lucky people who never has to go searching for book ideas. My challenge is developing them into a form that makes an editor say, "Wow. I want to publish this!"

No comments: